TEDxDaringCities: Embedding Climate Neutrality Ambition Throughout Sustainable Development
Achieving climate neutrality is one of the most ambitious goals that a government can undertake, yet it is one of the most critically needed to help the world stay below the 1.5 degree Celsius threshold. Those Daring Cities pursuing a target of climate neutrality must look beyond normal climate action planning measures, and integrate this approach and ambition into all aspects of their work.
Session will kick-off with remarks from Recife Mayor Gerardo Julio on behalf of ICLEI Global Executive Committee to welcome special address by H.E. Carolina Schmidt, Chilean Minister of Environment and COP25 President as well as Michael Bloomberg former New York City Mayor; Co-Chair, Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and EnergyCities, towns and regions from around the world which are already successfully pursuing daring approaches to achieve their ambitious climate targets will showcase their achievements.
Panellists will discuss the importance of integrating these approaches and sectors into their climate action, and how it has helped them advance toward achieving their bold climate targets. Experiences and lessons learned will be shared in order to help inspire and enable other cities, towns and regions to replicate these innovative approaches and empowered to commit to more ambitious climate targets themselves.
Master of Ceremony
- Manuel Pulgar Vidal, Head of WWF’s Climate and Energy Practice; former Minister of the Environment, Peru; President of UNFCCC COP20
- Geraldo Júlio, Mayor, City of Recife, Brazil; South America Representative at ICLEI Global Executive Committee
Special Addresses Towards COP26
- H.E. Carolina Schmidt, Minister of Environment, Chile; COP25 President
- Michael Bloomberg, Co-Chair, Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy; former Mayor, New York City, USA
Cities and regions panel: Daring approaches to achieving climate neutrality targets
ICLEI´s commitment: Daring to go Climate Neutral
- Maryke van Staden, Director, ICLEI Bonn Center for Local Climate Action and Reporting – the carbonn Climate Center
Reaching to climate neutrality through sustainable built environment
- Jaakko Stenhäll, Deputy Mayor, City of Tampere, Finland
- Jorge Muñoz Wells, Mayor, City of Lima, Peru
Sustainable mobility and EcoLogistics
- Jiunn-Ming Chiou, Deputy Secretary General, Taoyuan City Government, Chinese Taipei
100% renewable energy and energy security
- Chandresh V. Dobariya, Diu Municipal Council, India
Acting on SDGs as a leverage to raise climate ambition
- Bernard Faustino M. DY, Mayor, Cauayan, Philippines
ICLEI’s Pioneers of Climate Ambition and progress with UNFCCC Race-to-Zero campaign
- Yunus Arikan, Director of Global Advocacy, ICLEI